2.26.2008

parent teacher conference

Lizzie's First Day of Preschool

I had Lizzie's conference last Wednesday, February 20th. As a Kindergarten teacher, I hated this event. I was always nervous talking to parents about their most precious children. I always thought about how the parents are nervous right along with me. I went in on Wednesday, remembering that Lizzie's teachers were probably a little nervous too. I still felt like I was going to the Principal's Office.

So I went in, bracing for the worst. Lizzie had a rough start to the year. I had a few days at pick-up with whispered discussions at the door with her teacher about not following directions, not sharing, speaking out of turn. I have to say I left very proud of my little Lizzie and confident she is ready for the challenge of (sniff, sniff) Kindergarten!!

Her teachers began saying how much she has matured and has gotten into the routine and now knows what behaviors are appropriate for school. They had recorded some events that show how she is in school.
  • She loves to play dress-ups and always wants to get married, but their is only ever one boy who will go through the ceremony, Pierce (who by the way Lizzie has a crush on). She has a great imagination they said.
  • One day she had accidentally hit a boy in her class with a fishing pole. He began crying and Lizzie asked, "Are you okay, Evan?" to which Evan replied, "No, you really hurt me, but I forgive you." Lizzie continued by asking, "OK, but are you alright." Her teachers said they didn't even need to intervene because they worked it out on their own.
  • Then, they told me that at Christmastime they asked what Christmas was all about and Lizzie was the only one who said, "It is Jesus' Birthday!"
  • She knew 21 of 26 letters, counted from 1-28 (and then said 100), knew numbers randomly pointed to by her teacher and was able to use her scissors to cut out Valentine Hearts (an important skill for Kindergarten).
So, I am the mom and I am allowed these bragging rights, especially after how the year started. I am bracing for registration for school in 2 weeks and now have to prepare myself for her to be in the grade I once taught which is very strange for me.

Quote of the day: "I am ironing because I am married now." --Lizzie said to her teachers as she played in the house area after one of her weddings with Pierce.

No comments:

Contributors